Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mom's Lasagna - Frozen

Man, today is a bit of a doozy. I was 10 minutes late for the babysitter because I thought I had enough time to go to my "parenting" class at Mercy Hospital. If anyone reads this who lives in Miami and is looking for a way to meet other new moms, Mercy's Lactation Center might be the place for you. Faith Ploude, the baby guru or baby whisper - as some people like to call her, runs these classes in which she gives a short seminar about a particular parenting topic like "Starting Solids" or "Teething and Weaning" or something else to help us newbies along. But, the real reason everyone goes is to ask their particular question (we all get one or so) and to listen to other mother's questions and Faith's answers.

I started going because I had a hell of time breastfeeding and I needed all the support I could get. I'm not sure if anything anyone told me help me physically, but just hearing other people's issues and finding out that I was not alone was really helpful. So, I kept going back and now Baz and I have graduated to the older baby group which is where I was this morning. I've met a bunch of great moms this way.

Anyway, then I needed to rush home for the babysitter so I can work this afternoon. I've already done a conference call, and when I finish with this post, I am going to do some more video editing and then I have to go out and shoot this tent-camp community of sex offenders who live under a Miami bridge because the law currently won't let them live within 2500 feet of a place where children gather and there is no other place in Miami except for under that bridge where that is possible.

Therefore, I don't have a ton of time to cook tonight. So, I am going to go into my freezer and find something to serve my husband.

What I have chosen to take out is some lasagna that my mother has made for just such nights. She graciously makes me about 10 two person servings of a couple of Italian dishes that she freezes and brings to me about once every two months. I am so lucky and I know it. This batch was one of the best chicken parmesan and one of tastiest lasagnas I've ever had. Since we've been eating a lot of meat this week, I thought I would go with the lasagna which I believe is vegetarian.

I'll probably pick up some fixin's for a salad and maybe a baguette that I can use to make some garlic bread. That's pretty simple. Just slice the bread lengthwise and then slather some butter on it and use that awesome garlic press to press some garlic right onto it. I then use a knife to spread it out as evenly as I can. I sprinkle some salt and pepper and some parsley for color and then I fold the bread back together, wrap it in aluminum foil and put it the oven with my heating lasagna for the last five to ten minutes. Delicious.

We're getting towards a weekend so hopefully I'll be able to jazz things up a bit in the coming days....

No comments:

Post a Comment