Friday, March 26, 2010

Grilled Grouper Two Ways

After another night in Marathon visiting with our friends Emmett and Lindsay, we were a little behind on things at the homefront. Plus, with Baz walking, there is new meaning to the word exhaustion. He is all over the place. It's freakin' adorable with his little Frankenstein arms stretched out before him for balance, but it requires a new degree of vigilance that my 6 month pregnant body is having trouble keeping up with.

Our new house is close to a great little tot lot that Baz really enjoys so we like to go there to let off some steam in the afternoons. And then on the way home, we frequently stop in at the supermarket to figure out what we'll do for dinner. Last night I picked up some red grouper they had in the case which is funny since Damien is working on a story about how some of these fish are actually banned from being fished. Guess Caribbean red grouper is not one of them, or if it is, hopefully not too many people are reading this from the Fishing and Wildlife Commission. Because it actually was delicious. Grouper is one of my favorites since it has a light flavor but is a meaty enough fish that you can grill it without it falling apart.

I was craving cajun spiced grouper but of course I get home and Damien is like, "Can we not have cajun fish tonight?" Um, fine, but that was my whole point of getting grouper and I was pretty excited about it. He acts like we have cajun fish every other night or something. So, I marinated his piece in a mixture of butter, olive oil, garlic, white wine, salt and pepper. Once Baz was in his crib sleeping soundly -- oh, how glorious after running after him all day -- we fired up the Weber and Damien cooked the mismatched pieces of grouper.

I served it with some steamed broccoli that I seasoned with butter, salt, pepper and some garlic powder. And I also used a frozen bag of brown rice. Not sure if you are aware of this, and I am sure there is some reason this is not as healthy as making browned rice from scratch and I'll probably die because of some unknown preservative in it, but Birds Eye makes cooking up some brown rice so easy. You just put the bag in the microwave for 4 minutes and it comes out perfectly cooked and fluffy unlike the big glob of mushiness I usually get after 45 minutes.

So, check it out -- and please leave me in the dark if there is some reason I am poisoning my family with BPA infused rice or something. Okay?

**Oh, and while I was in Marathon I cooked up a batch of Picadillo for the gang. Some of the guests, including our dear friend Betsy who was also there, asked for the recipe so here is the link from when I blogged about it.

1 comment:

  1. i want the pork recipe on here too! oh, and the burgers! you're such a good chef d, thanks for all the delish food this weekend!

    ReplyDelete