Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Baked Brie with Apricots in French Bread

We are up in Vero Beach this week visiting with my parents. I savor these weekends because not only do they get to see Baz for a few days, but we get to take much needed breaks to just relax with the peace of mind that someone we trust is watching after our little rascal. It's a treat. For instance, today Damien and I both got facials. Tomorrow we'll go out to dinner and see a movie. And as an added bonus when we go back to Miami Beach we'll be taking home 13 frozen meals that my mother has prepared for us. Her prepared meals were a godsend after Baz was first born. When I couldn't even tell what day it was, never mind if it was time for dinner, I could just pull out some lasagna or the best chicken parm I've ever had from the freezer. About an hour later, a home cooked meal. And she's a great cook.

So it comes as no surprise that my mom made a wonderful appetizer tonight that I'd like to share. It's very easy to do and has a real "wow" factor to it if you are looking for something to impress guests.

It's Baked Brie topped with Apricot Preserves in a french bread crust. I have to give props to our family friends, the Goodwins, who introduced my parents to this recipe while they were visiting them last week in the Adirondacks.

Baked Brie with Apricots in French Bread
1 full wheel of brie
1 jar of apricot preserves
1 container of Pillsbury Crusty French Loaf

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a baking sheet with a non-stick spray like Pam. Place the whole brie in the center. Stretch the french bread dough around the outer edge of the cheese leaving the top exposed. Pinch the two ends together so that it is securely joined in a circle. Pour the apricot preserves into the center, completely covering the top of the brie, but not the dough.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes (or according to the french bread instructions). Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.

Then you can just slice the bread and spread a little cheese and apricots on it as it oozes out from the center. Man, I wish I had remembered to take a picture.

Thanks, Mom and Mrs. Goodwin!

1 comment:

  1. i want to visit your parents and leave with homecooked meals! how nice is that? have fun at the movies!

    ReplyDelete