Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Coconut Grove Farmer's Market To Which We Can Never Return

Yesterday Balthazar was in a real state because the night before he was kept awake by a tooth that seems to be emerging from his little gums. The teething is also causing a bit of a runny nose so he was very uncomfortable lying down. That made napping a little tricky, too. And no napping plus a bad night of sleep equals one cranky baby and two exhausted parents.

So, Damien and I thought our best course of action would be to drive somewhere, anywhere. That way Baz would maybe sleep because he now usually falls asleep within minutes of getting in the car and the car seat keeps him in an upright position. We pretty much used up all of our brain power coming up with that part of the plan so figuring out a destination was nearly impossible. We started out towards Lincoln Road -- the pedestrian shopping zone in South Beach. But as we reached our initial destination, Baz was so soundly asleep that we decided we needed to go somewhere further to continue the glorious, quiet siesta. We just kept driving south and somehow found ourselves on I-95 heading to Coconut Grove -- another Miami neighborhood famous for its Bohemian feel even though it is now mostly known for the big outdoor mall, Cocowalk, and all of it's Gap, Victoria Secret and Cheesecake Factory glory.

After about an hour of driving around (I know, we're terrible, but it's the small carbon footprint we need to make in order to rest our child,) we stumbled upon the Coconut Grove Farmers Market. I like farmers markets, I really do. But, I like farmers markets because the ones I've been to in San Francisco and New York usually offer local produce -- fresh stuff that didn't require cargo planes to get it to me (especially since we now need to reserve our gas-guzzling for restful car rides). The farmers markets in Miami however, aren't quite like that. This one, like another I have visited, offered produce from one supplier and while it was organic, most of it was from far away. We were in Coconut Grove, one of the lushest places in Miami -- proof that basically anything can grow here -- yet they were selling avocados and tomatoes in addition to lots of other produce from California and other far away places. I mean, Hello! Immokalee, Florida grows something like 90% of the tomatoes consumed in this country. Why bring tomatoes from California for your farmers market? Just because someone slapped an "organic" label on it? What does that really mean, anyway? That you can charge exorbitant prices? What about the amount of fuel that had to be used to get all of this produce here to Miami? I might as well buy the local stuff at Whole Foods or Publix even.

Then two things happened which made me hate the Coconut Grove Farmers Market even more. Seduced by some lovely leeks they had and some shitake mushrooms I haven't been able to pick up Publix, I thought I'd get over myself and buy something. When I finally figured out where to pay there was a guy ahead of me buying 100 things and then there was me with my three items (I also picked up a couple of onions since I was running low) and another guy behind me with his two or three items. The cashier went so slowly with the guy ahead of me, calling out each of his 100 items, looking up their prices on his list of about a million things. "Wow, look at these beautiful poblano peppers. These are, let me just find it on this here piece of paper, oh, I see, $3.60 a pound. And you have about 2 pounds. That's, let me see, $7.20. Next, you have these gorgeous bundles of parsley...." It took him forever.

When he finally finished, he looked at me and the guy behind me and pronounced, "Sorry folks, I'm parched. Before I do anything, I need to get some water." And he skipped away. Wait, was he kidding me? It literally should have taken him two seconds to ring us both up. It was past 4pm, not the busiest time of the market. There was sure to be some time after us. And we had just waited patiently....really? I didn't freak out. But, I calmly returned all of my items to their cardboard boxes and decided to find Damien who had gone to the other side to buy us some fresh juice from the prepared food side (which did look like homemade, local stuff, by the way, and the juice was very tasty and delicious.)

That's where we encountered strike three.

As we finished up our pineapple/lemon/ginger and watermelon juices, we encountered this woman (you can see a picture of her to the left that I got from the Glaser Farms web site) who was selling glass straws. Seriously, glass straws. She spent 10 minutes trying to convince me I needed to buy one for Baz because plastic ones are dangerous for babies -- they can drown or slice themselves with the rough edges, as if glass ones won't break or anything especially being used by a baby. She was admiring Baz and his fat, pork chop thighs that were sticking out of the Baby Bjorn Damien was holding him in. She asked if they were the result of breastfeeding. Uh oh. I could see where this was going. Calmly, I told her that they were the result of everything since I am now breastfeeding, formula feeding and giving him solids. She asked if he ate grains. I said yes, and then she went on to explain that in India babies don't start eating grains until they have their four front teeth because that is a sign that their intestines are developed enough for grains. Now maybe it was just the bad night's sleep he had suffered the night before, or perhaps he is suffering from PTSD from our time in a war zone, or maybe he's lost his patience for Eat, Pray, Love wannabes and their romanticism of anything Indian, exotic or, really, anything not American. Whatever it was, he jumped down her throat! What kind of research did she have to back up that claim?! Who was she to judge how we decided to feed our own, obviously healthy baby?! She started criticizing his inability to stop talking and listen to her. He pressed her for her credentials.

Part of me was mortified as I watched him and this woman going at it in the middle of the farmers market. But a bigger part of me was completely amused and entertained by the loud fight that had started. My favorite part might have been when she asked him if he was a lawyer. Or when she tried to convince us that she had spent many years assisting a scholar in India giving her the authority to comment on the nutritional needs of infants. Regardless, my job in these situations is usually to get Damien out of them. I politely apologize for his fiestiness and pull him away. But this time I couldn't. It was too much fun and I liked watching her try to match Damien punch for punch. And all this while Baz was just sitting there, dangling from his daddy's puffed up chest. It was great.

Eventually, I offered a qualified apology. "Thank you for the tip. We have to go." I latched my arm around Damien's and we laughed as we made our way to Cocowalk to check out if they had any baby pajamas on sale at the Gap. I think they're made in India.

14 comments:

  1. Good for you Damien!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the story - so funny. that is weird about the farmer's market and the food though. isn't the whole point of it being called a farmer's market because it supports local farmers? if it isn't, isn't it really just an outdoor whole foods?
    xo
    kita

    ReplyDelete
  3. La Familia BaumgardnerOctober 5, 2009 at 6:40 AM

    Hello Diana, Damien, & Baz,
    Great blog Diana!!! I am going to try out some of your recipes. We have to get the girls eating more than hot dogs, mac-n-cheese, and tator tots...haha Hope you are all doing well. Miss you all very much!:) Baz is such a handsome little man. We owe you a visit on the East Coast, so we can all catch up. The girls would be thrilled to see Baz again, and you and Damien too, of course. Love to you all! Keep in touch! xoxo

    Love,
    Jenn, Jason, Sandra, Erika, Deisy, & Laura (Jackson,too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not really growing season right now in Florida. Except for sweet potatoes, avocados, and some tropical fruits, it's very hard to buy local when it is not the season.
    I know what you mean about that woman. I also will never go back to the grove farmers market, and I started going in the 70's. This woman and her "holier than thou" attitude has driven me away for good. I waited almost 1/2 an hour for her to show the helper how to make a nori roll. When she finally broke from her conversation with another (probably telling them what they do wrong), she spoke loudly to the helper "She can wait!" Well, she can wait until hell freezes over before I spend another dime in that place. Too bad, I miss some of the stuff. Too expensive, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this story!!! I think the coconut grove farmers market is the biggest rip off. Good to hear someone else feels the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fresh, how can the items be fresh when they come in plastic bags and are taken back, week after week until some unsuspecting person purchases them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Diana, I met you at Laura Wides-Munoz' birthday cocktail party. Great blog and excellent post! Take care, Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness such nastiness in the middle of the Groves farmers market. In future try this: Didn't like the produce-JUST WALK AWAY-Didn't like the prices-JUST WALK AWAY-Didn't like waiting in line-JUST WALK AWAY-Didn't like the cashier-JUST WALK AWAY-Didn't like the Lady selling glass straws-OMYGOD-JUST WALK AWAY-Didn't like anything about the place-SCRAM!!!!!!!!!!!

    Jerry Wade-Happy and proud Grove Resident for 22 years. Who also likes Cocowalk and farmers markey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the blog!!!! But in defense of South Florida farmers markets in the summer, our veggies and fruit are grown in the winter, so we have to get them from far away in the summer months. But yeay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for Damian giving baby czar a dressing down. I am soooo sick of being told what terrible things (like bread and milk) are going to hurt my baby!
    --Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. That farmer's market place is a ridiculous, elitist scam. And there's a special spot in hell for self-righteous whiteys who think they know everything about YOUR baby because they went to India. I went there once myself. Once. They sport a specific brand of "hippie" at total odds with my specific brand of "hippie."
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm from a traditional Indian family and that's a bunch of krap about not feeding babies grains before they have their 4 front teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Grove and it saddens me that you and your family had such a bad time here, especially at a farmer's market.

    To balance it out, try stopping by the Coconut Grove Library just down the street (305)442-8695; Baz might like the free Toddler Storytime on Wednesdays at 3:30.

    (But in the interest of full disclosure, I'm the Children's Librarian, Mary Jane.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's too bad you didn't take the bad with the good. The Grove's Farmers' market is the only one the Grove has. It makes a lot of people happy. Others (you, often me) are turned off by the ines and prices.
    On the other hand, it is really a "farmer's" market because there is only one farmer there, "Stan". Your lecturer was his wife who, in her own talkative way, was probably only trying to be helpful.
    Twenty years ago Stan was one of 15 or 20 vendors holding court where CVS is now. That was the real thing and that was great.
    Stan and his circus tents is all that's left.
    The City of Miami is too lame to organize a real one, where many growers can easily participate.
    And as said above, the only real growing season for food in South Florida puts it on the table fresh Nov. thru April. At any other time you have to import most fresh produce here.
    In late January the Gables will start their Farmers Market three month run. Go there. They do it right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is great Diana! I just discovered your site and am enjoying it (of course it's distracting me from the million other things I'm supposed to be doing while the kids "nap" or "rest time" or whatever it is Liam is doing up there!) Thanks for the laughs and great insights.
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete