Monday, December 21, 2009

French Cut Lamb Chops and Roasted Potatoes

It's finally cool around these parts. The low is getting into the 50s this week and last night we even had to use the heater for the first time this year. Poor little Baz woke up in the middle of the night because he was cold so we had to turn it on. I am actually really enjoying it and it helps make it seem more like Christmas. I am really excited this year. My whole side of the family is coming to Florida this year. It's the first time we've all spent the holidays together in a long time. I can't wait.

We'll be eating a lot of pork this week since our Cuban tradition is to make a whole leg of pork that we eat for Christmas dinner and then in Cuban sandwiches for the rest of the week. My dad is really the best at making them, knowing just the right amount of pork, ham, cheese, pickles and condiments to include before he grills them into the delicious pressed sandwiches I've been eating as long as I can remember.

So, until then, no pork. Instead I got a great deal on some french cut lamb chops this week. Turns out two of the three packages I bought were mislabeled so I paid a price that was for ground chuck instead of the beautiful lamb chops I got. Not bad.

I am marinating them right now in some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, white wine (cuz it was open - I would have used red if I had it) pressed garlic, salt, pepper and some fresh rosemary. I'll cook them in my cast iron grill when it gets nice and hot so that the outside of the chops browns nicely.

I'm going to serve them with some steamed broccoli and roasted red potatoes. I am already cooking the potatoes because they need to cook for about an hour. I just cut them up in quarters and poured some olive oil over them. Then I sprinkled some salt and freshly ground pepper over them as well as some more pressed garlic and some of the rosemary that I bought for the lamb chops. Could be too much rosemary, but I didn't really use much for the potatoes.

I'll let you know how it all works out, but I am definitely excited.

UPDATE: Turned out terrifically. I cooked the lamb chops for about 4 minutes on each side. A couple of the thicker ones could have used another minute per side, but for the most part they were pink and delicious! And the rosemary on both the potatoes and chops turned out just fine.

2 comments:

  1. that looks so good! can you zoom it to my house so i don't have to make dinner? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can u pls zoom I want to try for dinner

    ReplyDelete