Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Baby Back Ribs with Mac and Cheese and Brussels Sprouts

Yesterday I decided that I had better go buy my turkey if I still plan on hosting Thanksgiving dinner here at my apartment. I didn't want to get stuck with a 20 pounder just because I didn't think ahead.

And I was also really busy editing so I didn't have a good plan for dinner. So, I decided to go get my turkey at Costco. That way I could also pick up a rack of baby back ribs that they have all prepared and ready to go. We've had them before and they are delicious.

Costco did not disappoint. I was able to get my 8 pound organic turkey and for $19 I picked up 2.5 pounds of ribs - a full rack. For sides, I decided we needed some mac and cheese so I made one of those Annie's Homegrown Organic mac and cheese boxes I had in my cabinet. I also decided to make those brussels sprouts that have been sitting in my refrigerator. Last week, my friend Kita wrote a blog post about her reintroduction to brussel sprouts after being served some at a dinner party. As a former brussel sprouts hater, she was converted and posted brussels sprouts cooking tips on her site.

This is how I like to make them.

Brussels Sprouts
1/2 pound (maybe? enough for 2 people) brussels sprouts
1 or 2 strips of bacon (I like a maple flavored kind for this)
salt and pepper

Clean and trim you brussels sprouts. Place them in a container with a lid - I use BPA free Rubbermaid ones - add a little bit of water, cover and cook in the microwave for 2 minutes.

In the meantime, cut the bacon strips into small pieces. Put in a frying pan and cook until the fat has emulsified and the bacon begins to brown.

Add the steamed brussels sprouts to the frying pan with the bacon. Cook until the brussels sprouts start to brown. Add salt and pepper to taste.

So super easy and really delicious. And good for you, too! Well, except for the cooking in bacon fat part.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE brussels sprouts. i slice them in half, toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes (until they start to brown and caramelize a bit). DELICIOUS.

    ReplyDelete