Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Homemade Cheese!

This is a very busy week where I will be scrambling to figure out what to make for dinner. I have been working on this new video and, man is it requiring a ton of freakin' legwork! Since Damien's been pretty busy too, poor Baz has either been toted around for a few shots or surrendered to his awesome babysitter for the afternoon. I am beginning to feel like he is forgetting the fun we have together. And so far for dinner, I have picked up a fried chicken dinner including macaroni and cheese from Publix one night and one of my Mom's frozen lasagna dinners the other.

But, today I am taking it a bit slower so I will hopefully be making my mom's recipe for Shrimp Creole. This is my favorite dish that I used to request for every birthday. In fact, this year I asked Damien to make it for me. So he wrote to my mom and got her recipe. I will write more about this when I actually make it.

I also decided to use my slower day to try this amazing gift that my brother and sister-in-law sent me for my birthday. It's a cheesemaking kit (that Baz is modeling above.) So, after getting a gallon of organic whole milk from Whole Foods, dissolving some citric acid and rennet tablets in some water, I found myself stirring and stretching my way to some fresh homemade mozzarella.

This was just the first try but I think it looks pretty good. What I would like to do is try to find some really fresh milk -- like from a local dairy -- because I think that is key to making the most flavorful, creamy cheese. For now though, my attempt can be called a success. And tonight, before our shrimp creole, I will be serving a caprese salad!

1 comment:

  1. so happy you tried and liked the cheesemaker! both you and the cheese look beautiful in the picture you posted. -Meera

    ReplyDelete