Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Carnivore’s Dilemma

An interesting New York Times "food for thought" column here. I have several friends who push their vegetarian/vegan views and this op-ed piece offers another perspective.

I'm more of an "everything in moderation" kind of girl so I'm not really likely to give up meat anytime soon. But when I can find it, I have been trying to buy only organic or farm raised products. Apparently, it's even better for the environment that eating tofu since so much soy comes from the handful of Brazilian international agribusinesses that are big culprits in the deforestation of Brazil.

I found this paragraph pretty interesting too:
And it should also be noted that farmers bear only a portion of the blame for greenhouse gas emissions in the food system. Only about one-fifth of the food system’s energy use is farm-related, according to University of Wisconsin research. And the Soil Association in Britain estimates that only half of food’s total greenhouse impact has any connection to farms. The rest comes from processing, transportation, storage, retailing and food preparation. The seemingly innocent potato chip, for instance, turns out to be a dreadfully climate-hostile food. Foods that are minimally processed, in season and locally grown, like those available at farmers’ markets and backyard gardens, are generally the most climate-friendly.
No! Not potato chips!

So, take a read and if anyone has any suggestions for where to buy organic meat, let me know. I already get Verde Farms organic ground meat at Costco.

No comments:

Post a Comment