Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Chicken Stock

Today, I decided to try and make chicken stock since a few recipes I have been looking at recently required this ingredient. I have used canned or boxed stock in the past, but I would imagine that freshly made chicken stock is probably so much better -- and better for you.

Since today was a slower day for me -- or at least I thought it would be -- I undertook the challenge. I bought an organic whole chicken from the Publix Greenwise section and bought some celery and leeks to add to the carrots and onions I already had.

I looked at several different recipes and decided to just wing it based on what I read. This is sort of an all day undertaking so take that into consideration before you start. Here is what I did:

Chicken Stock
1 whole chicken
2 carrots
2 onions
2 stalks of celery
1 leek, the green stems included
4 sprigs thyme
4 sprigs parsley
1 teaspoon peppercorn (I used a multi-colored mix)

Put the chicken in a large (and I mean really large) pot. Cover the chicken with water (about a gallon) and bring to a boil. Remove the foam that accumulates on top.

Chop up the vegetables into big chunks (the pieces should be about an inch). Add the vegetables and the herbs to the pot and bring to a boil. Once it boils, reduce heat to medium low and let the mixture simmer for 4 or 5 hours.

Strain the liquid through a sieve to remove all of the other ingredients. Chill the stock in the refrigerator overnight. The next day, remove the fat that has accumulated on the top. Refrigerate or freeze.

I am chilling my stock now and will let you know how it goes tomorrow. I also saved the very, falling apart, moist chicken and hope to use the meat somehow. We'll see though. It wasn't looking very appetizing after soaking for 4 hours.

God, I really hope it works out. That was a lot of food to use up. But, how could it not work out? It's just that I was so distracted trying to get this done with my newly mobile and very enthusiastic adventurer, Balthazar. Well, first it was his sleeping that really tripped me up. I mean, I put that kid in the car and he is out for an hour at least. So, first I sat in the parking lot at Costco and then again at Publix letting the little guy catch some z's. It was such a waste of time. But, I have to let him rest because when he's awake he is a MANIAC. He's standing up against the table, the refrigerator, the oven. He pulling down pots and pans, screaming when I won't let him leave the refrigerator door open or when I insist that the knife is off limits. Ugh, I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

But, the stock finally got simmering and then I made some Penne alla Vodka for dinner.

I also booked myself another video today. So it looks like this "hiatus" was a short one. I guess that's good.

Full report of the stock tomorrow. Oh and if anyone has made a good chicken stock before and sees that I have made some terrible errors, please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment