Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Fresh Pesto

Last night I didn't make dinner because we went to a concert. I know! Totally crazy not just because we have a baby and all late night activities have taken a big hit, but also because we live in Miami and there are not that many concerts rolling into our adopted hometown. But, Damien heard that the Counting Crows were coming to the newly renovated Amphitheater in downtown and thought enough ahead to get us lawn seats.

Well, it turned out to be a great night! We are not like these huge Counting Crow fans or anything, but who didn't listen to them in college? Everyone did. They were total crowd pleasers. And they still are. The audience was filled with everyone from young pot smoking college kids to people just like us who brought their kids with them to see their old college favorites. Plus, we were supposed to get drenched by the remnants of Tropical Storm Ana, but it was a beautiful, only slightly stiffling hot night. Baz fell asleep despite the loud music and we had a couple of beers under the stars. It was great.

Tonight it was back to usual though. And I was having a craving for pesto. So, I made it from scratch. I still have to work on my recipe. I feel like it was good, but really how can a combination of fresh basil, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil not be good. I just think it could be better. I'll keep you posted as I refine my recipe.

For now though, this is how I made it and like I said, it was still pretty good.

Fresh Pesto
2 oz. fresh basil (about 2 packed cups of just leaves - remove stems)
1/2 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon pine nuts
1/3 cup olive oil

In a food processor, finely chop the basil. Add the Parmesan cheese, garlic and pine nuts and mix until well blended. Drizzle in the olive oil to create pesto paste.

We have an Argentianian style pasta shop nearby that makes wonderful fresh pastas, including tasty ravioli and gnocchi. So, I paired my pesto with a goat cheese ravioli. I don't know. Maybe that was a mistake. It was fine, but I don't know. I think pesto is a strong flavor that might have gone better with plain pasta or gnocchi.

Now I have to go and watch America's Got Talent... (I know, I can't believe I watch that show either.)

1 comment:

  1. Try adding some sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Or substitute pistachios for the pine nuts, and add a bit of mint.

    ReplyDelete