Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Vegetable Frittata

Damien had to rush up to Pensacola for a story so it looks like I am on my own again for dinner. In fact, Bazzy will likely go to bed a little early since he had a little bit of a rough day. Aside from missing his Daddy, he had his 6-month immunizations today. While it certainly was no repeat of the first immunizations (when he freaked out a few hours after the shots from the throbbing pain in his leg), he definitely got a little sore late in the day and needed a lot of comforting, in addition to a dose of Tylenol. Poor baby.

So, since I am by myself and since I have a nice crusty french baguette as inspiration, I am going to make a frittata with some of the fresh veggies I have in the fridge. What's nice about it is that I can make enough for just one person but it's still nutritious and tasty.

This is what I'll do:

Vegetable Frittata
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 yellow or red pepper
3 or 4 chopped asparagus spears
2 tablespoons diced onion
1/4 cup cauliflower florets
(Really any vegetables you have in the fridge will do. These are just the ones I have and like)
salt and pepper
3 eggs
1 tablespoon milk or cream
3 tablespoons shredded or soft cheese (I'm using Gouda, but I wish I had some Chevre.)

Preheat the broiler or the oven at 425 degrees.

Heat up the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetables and saute until they soften a bit. It takes about 5 to 7 minutes. Season the veggies with a little bit of salt and pepper to taste. Lower the heat to a low setting.

In a bowl, use a fork to whisk the eggs with the milk. Pour egg mixture into the skillet. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan and cook the eggs. Sprinkle the cheese on the eggs. When there are lumps of cooked egg, but they are still very wet on top (after about 2 minutes), move the entire skillet to the oven. Broil or bake for about 5 minutes.

I also put a big old chunk of that baguette I mentioned in the oven with the eggs. This makes it nice and crispy and warm.

Remove the eggs and bread from the oven and let it sit for a minute or two. And voila! An easy dinner for one. Of course, just add a few more eggs and you've got dinner for two or three or four too.

**Be super careful with the handle of the skillet. It's probably very hot and once when I was very sleep deprived I frickin' burned the hell out of my hand by forgetting and grabbing it (on the stove, not from the oven. I wasn't that tired.)

No comments:

Post a Comment