Thursday, September 3, 2009

Baby Food Bonanza

Today I decided to make a whole bunch of homemade baby foods for Baz. I bought a few organic vegetables and these really nice looking peaches as well as some other fruit. I steamed, roasted, baked and pureed my way to six different types of baby food.

Baz is a pretty good eater as you can probably tell by looking at him. He was born pretty "petite" (as our pediatrician likes to call him in his Argentine accent) and had these little chicken legs like his cousin Elan now has. He has certainly grown. But while he went from 25th to 50th percentile in head size and weight, he's remained 25th percentile in height. We joke that we have a short, fat baby with a big head. So eating has never been his problem. That is until now.

Our problem is that Baz LOVES yogurt. And now that he knows that yogurt is in the rotation, he won't really eat the other things I offer him. When we first started on solids, he would try and seemed to like everything....well, except bananas. Sweet potatoes were a big hit, avocados got a gag at first but then he ate his entire serving, winter squash was good and carrots were a favorite. But yesterday, I went to give him some delicious avocado and he wouldn't take it. I was worried that he'd be hungry so I took out a yogurt. He attacked it! I couldn't shovel it into his mouth fast enough.

So, I thought if I tried to make him some fresh baby food, took the time to roast and draw out the flavor of some fruits and vegetables, then maybe he'd like it better. Only problem was I couldn't finish everything because the food processor was scaring the shit out of him. I mashed up some butternut squash for dinner, but it didn't get the positive reaction I was going for. I didn't cave and give him yogurt, but he did take a couple of spoonfuls of Gerber Organic carrots. My own roasted carrots will have to wait until I can find the right time to sneak them into the food processor. And the peaches we've got ready for tomorrow morning have got to be a hit. They are delicious!

1 comment:

  1. could you mix any of that food into the yogurt? like the peaches maybe?

    ReplyDelete