Friday, September 11, 2009

Corn Bread

Last night, I thought I had taken out some chili I had frozen the last time I made it. But, it turned out that I had actually taken out Kita's Tortilla Soup I made a couple of weeks ago. It was even better after being frozen actually.

Since I thought I was making chili, I made some cornbread that I was going to serve with it. Tortilla Soup also has that Tex Mex flair to it so luckily the cornbread still worked.

Here is the recipe I used:

Cornbread
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Melt the butter in a saucepan until it starts to brown just a bit (about 3 minutes). In the meantime, beat the eggs with the milk. Drizzle the butter into the egg and milk mixture whisking constantly so as not to cook the eggs with the hot butter.

In a separate bowl combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking soda. Mix well.

Whisk the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Pour the batter into a cask iron skillet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

It's a simple addition to any Tex Mex meal. It also makes a great breakfast the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment