Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Room Service, PF Chang's and more in Tampa...

We have just returned from another work trip and this one worked out quite well. We left Miami on Monday morning for Tampa and just got back yesterday. It's not too far away -- about 4 1/2 hours -- and Baz was a little angel for the ride there and back.

Of course, traveling in Florida leaves much to be desired in terms of dining options. Add a baby to that and you find yourself scrounging for just about anything as long as it comes early and fast. Luckily we stay at the Intercontinental that has a nice rate for us New York Times folks. And their room service options are pretty good.

So, on Monday night after I finished videotaping our female Iraq War veteran attending her class at the SW Florida College, we ended up having a glass of wine and an appetizer (a delicious spinach, crab, artichoke dip) in the bar downstairs and then ordered a Cobb Salad and desert in our room after Baz went to sleep. What a good Cobb Salad! One salad was good enough for the both of us and we topped it off with a delicious slice of key lime pie -- my favorite!

I guess we were still full from the huge hamburger lunch we'd had on the road. We ate at Red Robin which I had never heard of, but turned out to be really tasty. I mean, it was not the healthiest meal I've eaten in a while. For instance, my burger had french cut onion rings right in the bun along with the BBQ burger and cheddar. Damien's was even worse with the same onion rings and gorgonzola.

Then on Tuesday night we hit up the PF Chang's across the street from the hotel. It's sort of a joke between me and Damien because I am not quite as ashamed of all the suburban things I like as Damien is -- he likes to hide his suburban side. PF Chang's is one of those chain Chinese places that tries to be a bit fancier. I love it and whenever we pass one I am always like, "Hey, PF Chang's! We should go there!" to which Damien replies, "No." But on a business trip in the state of Florida, PF Chang's is pretty much gourmet. So, I got my fix.

Then we were invited to my aunt and uncle's house for dinner on the other night. I had not seen my cousins in a very long time. It had been so long that I had never even met the six kids they've collectively added to the Oliva side of the family. It was utter chaos at their house, but it was just great to see all the little ones running around. Baz just sat there in awe -- too young to really participate, but old enough to know that they were all pretty cool.

My aunt Maria -- or Tia Maria as I call her -- made a delicious lasagna and salad and there was plenty of wine flowing. What a nice evening. She was also a total lifesaver because she watched Baz on Tuesday afternoon so Damien and I could tape our sit-down interview with our vet. I don't know what we would have done without her.

All in all, it was a great trip -- culinary and otherwise. Burgers, PF Chang's and homemade lasagna. You can't ask for more. The real dessert was the fact that Baz slept beautifully the whole trip. Sure, he had his moments, but for the most part he slept through the night allowing Damien and I to be in good form when doing our reporting. Thanks for that Bazmatazz.

No comments:

Post a Comment